Prep : 10 minutes Cook time : 3 hours 30 minutes Serves 8
Bread bowls are a sandwich shop favorite for a reason . Instead of venturing out into the cold night air , fill Italian Bread Bowls with chunky potato soup -- featuring potatoes , onions , carrots , celery and savory seasoning .
6 potatoes , peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2-1/2 pounds)
2 medium onions , diced
2 carrots , thinly sliced
2 (14-1/2 ounce) cans low-sodium fat-free broth
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon basil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups fat-free half and half
** Italian Bowls (recipe below )**
** Garnish with celery leaves**
1. Combine first 8 ingredients in a 4-1/2 quart slow cooker , cook covered , at high 3 hours or until vegetables are tender .
2. Stir together flour , half-and-half , stir into soup . Cover and cook 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated .
Serve in Italian Bread Bowls and garnish if desired .
Italian Bread Bowls
Makes 8 servings
2-1/2 cups warm water
2 (I/4 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
7 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1 egg white
1 tablespoon water
1. Stir together 2-1/4 cups water and yeast in a large bowl , stir in salt and oil .
2 . Add flour gradually beating at medium speed with an electric mixer until soft dough forms .
3. Turn dough out onto floured surface ; knead until smooth and elastic (4 to 6 minutes) . Place in lightly greased bowl , turning to grease the top , cover and let rise in a warm place (85*) free from drafts , 35 minutes or until double in bulk.
4 . Punch dough down and divide into 8 portions . Shape each portion into a 4-inch round loaf . Place loaves on a lightly greased baking sheets sprinkle with cornmeal.
5. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85*) free from drafts , 35 minutes or until double in bulk.
6. Stir together egg white and 1 tablespoon water brush over loaves .
7. Bake at 400* for 15 minutes , brush with remaining egg mixture and bake 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown . Cool on a wire rack .
( Freeze up to 1 month if desired)
8 . Cut a 1/2-inch-thick slice from the top of each loaf , scoop out the centers , leaving 3/4 inch thick shells ( reserve centers for other uses). Fill bread Bowls with hot soup and serve immediately.