Makes 6 to 8 servings
2 pounds unpeeled, medium-size raw shrimp
1-1/2 pounds skinned and boned chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 pound cooked ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 medium-size yellow onions, chopped (2 cups)
2 celery ribs, chopped (1 cup)
1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
3 cups chicken broth
1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes
3 green onions, chopped (1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1. Peel shrimp; deveined, if desired.
2. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt, black pepper, and red pepper.
3. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken, and cook, stirring constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until browned on all sides. Remove chicken using a slotted spoon.
4. Add ham to Dutch oven, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove ham using a slotted spoon.
5. Add garlic and next 3 ingredients to Dutch oven; stir to loosen particles from bottom. Stir in ham and chicken. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
6. Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 35 minutes. Add tomatoes and next 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in shrimp and hot sauce; cook, covered, 10 more minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.