Makes 3 servings (serving size: 4 onion rings)
1 large sweet onion
1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup light beer
1 egg white
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
**Vegetable cooking spray**
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1. Cut onion into 1/4-inch-thick slices, and separate into rings. Select largest 12 rings, reserving remaining onion slices for another use.
22. Whisk together buttermilk, beer, and egg white in a small bowl until blended.
3. Dredge onion rings in flour; dip into buttermilk mixture, coating well. Dredge again in flour, and place on a baking sheet.
4. Heat 2 tsp. oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Tilt pan to coat bottom of skillet. Add 4 onion rings to skillet, and cook 1 minute on each side or until golden. Wipe skillet clean. Repeat procedure twice with remaining onion rings and oil. Place fried onion rings on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
5. Bake at 400° for 3 minutes. Turn onion rings, and bake 3 more minutes. Remove from oven, and sprinkle with salt. Serve immediately .