Friday, February 7, 2014

Southern Okra Rellenos

Makes : 2 dozen                Prep : 40 Minutes

Okra is a signature Southern ingredient whether fried, pickled, or grilled. Okra  Rellenos  are essentially fried okra filled with cheese. The recipe yields 2 dozen, but they'll go fast!
4                    ounces Monterey Jack cheese with peppers

1                    pound fresh okra (4-inch-long pods)
1                    cup self-rising flour
1/3                 cup self-rising cornmeal
1                    large egg 
1/2                 cup buttermilk
1/2                 cup dark Corn oil
1/2                 teaspoon salt
 

1.          Cut Monterey Jack cheese into 3- x 1/4- x 1/4-inch sticks.
2 .         Cut a lengthwise slit in each okra pod, cutting to but not through ends; push seeds aside. Stuff pods with cheese sticks, and set aside.
3 .         Combine flour and cornmeal in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
4 .         Stir together egg, buttermilk, and beer; add to dry ingredients, stirring until smooth.
5 .         Pour oil to depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 375°. Dip stuffed okra in batter, coating well; fry, a few at a time, in hot oil until golden. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt; serve immediately with salsa.
 
 

8 comments:


  1. Dear Nee, THese look so very good!! Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Catherine , when my hubby first saw the okra , he said 'UUGH' now he just love them ;-D . thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a big fan of okra, but I guess with some cheese it would be much better :D thanks for the recipe Nee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Medeja , I know a lot of people that's not fond of okra ;-D ... wouldn't food be boring if we all liked the same kind . That's what so great about knowing a lot of food bloggers . Thanks for topping by :).

      Delete
  4. Dear Nee, Great recipe! I love Okra. The first time I had it, was mixed in a soup. Can't remember the name of the soup, but it was delicious. Since then I am a lover of this great un-used veggie. Not many people love this. I will definitely try this one, sounds and looks mouthwatering, especially with the cheese. Thanks for sharing...Blessings..Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dottie , I was a teenager when I ate my first okra dish (okra and tomatoes ) I fell in love , here in the south everyone is expected to like okra , not so ;-D , thanks for stopping by . Have a blessed , safe and warm weekend :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Nee!
    I've never seen Okra Rellenos before, pretty cool:) We don't eat much okra at our house. I'm not even sure Marion likes them. I, of course, must now find out!!! I love rellenos and I like okra so I may just enjoy noshing on a few of these too!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing, Nee...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Louise , if you must try them , cook maybe two or three . they are a required taste ;-) , thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends, thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to say hello. The welcome mat is always out and the coffee is always hot .I really appreciate your sweet gesture!